Monday, June 8, 2009

On our way to Rock Lake this winter we happened upon this poor fellow resting by the road. He was in pretty bad shape, all ribs and hip bones. I hope he survived the winter. Just a few miles down the road we bumped into a large herd of elk. What a fine wintry morning!


Here is Greg later that morning on the edge of Rock Lake with a brace of birds behind him. Yes, one is a big triumphant sprigtail! I didn't take my opportunity to shoot another big pintail because looking throught the branches of the blind I thought he was out of range. Greg swore he swung through at twenty five yards. Oh well, you can't have them all.

It was on this hunt that I decided on a bit of a plan for 2009. I'd been talking with Greg about his summers guiding salmon fishing on the Nushagak in Alaska and was getting a serious itch. I finally determined that nothing, absolutely nothing, was standing between me and my childhood dreams of guiding in Alaska. So I went home that night, talked to Jess and the next day began a job search for packer/apprentice guide.

No comments: